Collective of trade unions say over 1000 government, semi-government and private sector trade unions started a massive Hartal Protest Campaign from midnight May 5th till throughout May 6th to protest against the government.
Live Blog –
- Railway Trade Union Alliance joined the country-wide harthal from 12 midnight. Train services disrupted.
- Private Bus Owners’ withdraw from bus services from 12 midnight. Bus services disrupted.
- A group of farmers protest demanding fuel blocking the A9 road Dambulla.
- Katunayake Export Processing Zone entrance from Avariwatta junction blocked due to a protest by the employees of the zone.
- All Ceylon Government Medical Officers’ Association also stated that they would support the hartal.
- Doctors from the Government Medical Officers’ Association (GMOA) will work but will wear black armbands to support the strike.
- Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration Officer’s Association said as trade union action they will withdraw from Immigration and Emigration duties at VIP terminals for Sri Lankan dignitaries at all airports in the country including Katunayake International Airport.
Workers in all sectors including education, transport, estates, ports, electricity, banks, postal services, Samurdhi, and development officers are joining the Harthal.
Trade Unions of banks, Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), Sri Lanka Transport Board (SLTB), as well as teachers and principals unions, are also set to participate in the hartal.
The Private Bus Owners’ Association says they have decided to withdraw from bus services.