Health trade unions have decided to call off the planned strike, which was scheduled for August 3, after reaching an agreement with the Health Secretary. The strike was initially organized in response to a controversial circular issued by the Health Ministry, which advised public employees, particularly health workers, against releasing information to the media without prior approval from the ministry.
Earlier, The Academy of Health Professionals said that they have organized a token strike on August 03, protesting against the failure to cancel the circular.
The circular, issued last week, had sparked widespread concern and criticism from the health workforce and media advocates alike. It was perceived as an attempt to restrict the flow of information and transparency within the healthcare sector.
However, following intense negotiations between the health trade unions and the Health Secretary, a resolution has been reached. The Health Secretary has agreed to withdraw the circular, addressing the concerns raised by the health workers regarding their right to communicate with the media and the public.
Earlier, Minister of Health Keheliya Rambukwella said that the recent circular issued by the Health Secretary, limiting the freedom of Health professionals to make comments to the media, was issued in order to prevent any misleading statements from being made regarding the country’s health sector.