The depression over the Southeast and adjoining Southwest Bay of Bengal lay centered about 200 km east of Batticaloa. It is very likely to move nearly westwards till evening of today, the 31st January. Thereafter, it is likely to recurve gradually west-southwestwards and cross Sri Lanka coast between latitude 7°N to 8°N during forenoon of 1st February 2023.
Very heavy showers about 150mm are likely at some places in Eastern, Uva and Central provinces and in Polonnaruwa district. Heavy showers above 100mm are likely at some places in North-Western and Northern provinces and Anuradhapura district.
Strong winds about (50-60) kmph can be expected at times over the Eastern, Uva, Western, Central and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in Galle, Matara, Mullaitivu, Jaffna and Kilinochchi districts.
• People living in hilly areas (particularly landslide prone areas) and low-lying areas in river basins are requested to be vigilant.
• Drivers and people using roads in the hilly areas are requested to be vigilant.
• Take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.
• Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
• Be alert on the advisories issued by the Department of Meteorology.
• For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities