Sri Lanka government to issue a gazette notification before 20th November 2021 declaring teacher service, teacher advisory service and principal services as closed services.
Also, Ministerial Sub Committee proposal to increase salaries of teacher-principal approved by the Cabinet. This will come into effect in several stages from the next Budget.
The trade union action which was launched by several teachers – principals union continued for the 49th consecutive day. Unions say they will continue the trade union action until their demands are met. Due to the strike, online teaching and academic activities in most of schools were badly hampered.
Implementing recommendations of cabinet appointed Sub-Committee on the elimination of salary anomalies in teacher-principal services Cabinet Sub-Committee appointed to look into the elimination of salary anomalies in teacher-principal services and to make recommendations to the Cabinet of Ministers has discussed with the representatives of 33 Teacher, Principal and Teacher Instructor unions and made its recommendations.
The following decisions were taken by the Cabinet of Ministers after considering the recommendations made by the Sub-Committee.
• Granting policy approval to implement the recommendations of the Cabinet Sub-Committee
• Issuing gazette notification before 20th November 2021 declaring teacher service, teacher advisory service and principal services as closed services
• Implementation of the salary revisions recommended by the Cabinet SubCommittee to eliminate the salary anomalies of teachers and principals, in stages through a 2022 budget proposal
• Granting a special allowance of Rs. 5000 for teachers and principals who are on duty during the months of September and October 2021
• Taking necessary steps by the Ministry of Education in collaboration with the Provincial Councils and other relevant authorities to implement the other proposals of the Sub-Committee within 6 months