According to COVID19 Vaccine rollout tracking, So far more than 4 million booster doses of the coronavirus vaccines have been administered in Sri Lanka. About 4,006,720 persons over the 20+ years of age have been administered the Pfizer vaccine so far as 3rd dose.
A booster vaccine is 88% effective at preventing people ending up in hospital with Covid-19, new data from the UK Health Security Agency suggests, BBC reports.
It found that a single vaccine dose reduced the risk of needing hospital treatment by 52%. Adding the second dose increased the protection to 72%, although after 25 weeks that protection had faded to 52%.
And two weeks after getting a third dose, that protection against hospitalisation was boosted to 88%.
World Health Organization WHO says it’s reasonable to believe the vaccines will offer some protection against Omicron variant.
Total 45 Omicron cases report in Sri Lanka. ” Please use the booster vaccine to protect you and your loved ones” Dr. Chandima Jeewandara.
Dr. Chandima Jeewandara stressed the need for those who have not yet been vaccinated to be vaccinated immediately, saying that there is no need to panic over the Omicron variant as the booster dose increases immunity. Dr. Jeewandara also stressed the importance of adherence to public health regulations.
Where can persons can get Booster Shot ?
- Sri Lanka Amy Manage Vaccination Centres.
- Walk-in Vaccination Centres
- Viharamahadevi park (7.30 am to 3.30pm) (Walk-in)
- Colombo South Teaching Hospital Kalubowila – http://csth.health.gov.lk/vaccine/ Website (Appointment )
- Colombo Municipal Council to send an SMS to all the eligible citizens.
- Lady Ridgeway Hospital for Children LRH – Prior Appointment can be made via – https://lrh.health.gov.lk/vaccine/ website (Appointment )
1) Three months past since your 2nd dose (Az, Sinopharm, Sputnik, Moderna or Pfizer)
2) 20 years and above
Please bring your NIC and vaccination card.
- Lady Ridgeway Hospital for Children LRH – Prior Appointment can be made via – https://lrh.health.gov.lk/vaccine/ website
This programme is only for those over 30 years of age who had previous two doses from any brand of COVID vaccines. Minimum of 3 months should have elapsed from the date of the second dose. Please bring your NIC and vaccination card. Priority will be given for those who come with an appointment.
Registration for COVID Vaccination 3rd dose (booster dose) (Pfizer) for People 20 years and above who got 2nd dose COVID vaccination more than 3 months agoColombo South Teaching Hospital Kalubowila – http://csth.health.gov.lk/vaccine/ Website (Appointment )
The third dose / booster dose (Pfizer) will be administered to individuals above 30 years of age from December 10 in islandwide. Administration of vaccination program delegated to the provinces and MOH offices says Health Minister Keheliya Rambukwella.
Two doses of a Covid vaccine are not enough to stop you catching the Omicron variant, UK scientists have warned.
Early analysis of UK Omicron and Delta cases showed the vaccines were less effective at stopping the new variant.
But a third booster prevents around 75% of people getting any Covid symptoms. (LankaXpress.com)