Three persons who had posed themselves as police officers & robbed gold jewellery from people, arrested in Wattala says Police spokesman.
Be careful about Snatching Jewellery Gold Chains / Necklaces thefts!
We can all take steps to avoid becoming the victim of a snatch theft or pickpocketing:
- Be alert and aware of the surroundings. Walk against traffic, on the inside of the sidewalk, with handbags kept away from the street side of the curb. Keep a close eye on any moving vehicles, particularly motorcycles with pillion riders. Be cautious at busy intersections and when crossing streets.
- Be cognizant of how you carry a handbag, backpack or parcel. Holding it in your hand beside you, or casually slung over your shoulder or behind you, makes you an easier target. Handbags should be held close to your body in front of you, and backpacks should be slung over both shoulders on your back. Be sure to fasten any closures on the bag.
- If possible, walk with a group of people and avoid poorly lit streets, shortcuts, and narrow alleys.
Keep a low profile and avoid public displays of wealth. Do not carry large sums of cash or wear expensive, flashy jewelry.
- Do not place your handbag or purse on the passenger’s seat while driving; place any valuables on the floor or somewhere less accessible from the windows.
- Do not leave handbags or mobile phones on top of the table at cafes, restaurants, or bars.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended, even for a moment.
- Do not place valuables (e.g. money, mobile phones, etc.) in locations on your person or in your bag which are easily accessible by thieves.
Opportunistic criminals will usually search for easy targets. Maintain situational awareness and try to make yourself a difficult target. (via internet)