So far this year over 1300 persons died due to road traffic accidents. During last 24 hour (July 20) 7 deaths and about 42 injuries have been reported due to road traffic accidents in Sri Lanka. Most of victims were motorcycle riders & pillion riders. 3 motorcycle riders & pillion riders were among deaths. Also 2 pedestrians died due to road accidents last 24-hour. According to Sri Lanka Police statistics about seven to eight people die each day due to accidents. The police spokesman said it is possible to save those lives and requested the motorists to drive in strict accordance with the rules of the road and to drive carefully and attentively on the road. Police spokesman Senior DIG Ajith Rohana requests riders and drivers to check vehicle conditions (Brake / Signal Lights etc..) before drive / ride as vehicles were parked long period due to travel restrictions.
Increase in Road Traffic Accidents in Sri Lanka.
* A road Accident in Sri Lanka every 10 minutes.
* Daily 8 Persons killed in Road Accidents.
* Every 3 days, Child dies of Road Accidents.
* Every 5 days, Person dies on Pedestrian Crossing.
* April month considered the highest number of road accidents reporting Month in Sri Lanka
* April 10th to 20th considered the highest number of road accidents reporting dates in Sri Lanka