Showers or thundershowers will occur at several places in most provinces of the island after 01.00 p.m. Heavy showers about 100 mm are likely at some places in Central, Sabaragamuwa and Uva provinces and in Kurunegala and Mannar Districts.
Showers may occur at some places in Northern, Western and Southern provinces and in Puttalam district during the morning too.
The general public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by temporary localized strong winds and lightning during thundershowers.
The Department of Meteorology advises that people should:
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms.
- Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
- Avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc.
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
- For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.