Depression over Bay of Bengal lay centered about 100 km of Batticaloa (Sri Lanka) and 400 km Karaikal (India). Very likely to move nearly westwards and cross Sri Lanka coast between Batticaloa and Trincomalee during night 01 Feb.
Very heavy showers about 150mm are likely at some places in Northern and North central provinces and in Trincomalee and Puttalam districts. Heavy showers above 100mm are likely at some places in Kurunegala, Matale, Batticaloa and Ampara districts.
Strong winds about (50-60) kmph can be expected at times over the Northern, North-central, Eastern, North-western and Central provinces and strong winds about (40-50) kmph can be expected elsewhere.
• People living in hilly areas (particularly landslide prone areas) and low-lying areas in river basins are requested to be vigilant.
• Drivers and people using roads in the hilly areas are requested to be vigilant.
• Take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity
• Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
• Be alert on the advisories issued by the Department of Meteorology.
• For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.
Weather Forecast February 2
Cloudy sky will prevail over most parts of the island and showers or thundershowers will occur at times in Northern, North-central and Eastern provinces. Sowers or thundershowers will occur elsewhere during the afternoon or night.
Heavy showers above 100mm are likely at some places in Northern, North-central, Eastern and Uva provinces and in Puttalam district.
Strong winds about (40-50) kmph can be expected at times over the Northern, North-central, Eastern and North-western provinces.
General public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by temporary localized strong winds and lightning during thundershowers