A special security and traffic plan will be implemented in Colombo and Nugegoda area today May 1 as main political parties are scheduled to hold May Day rallies.
According to the Police Media Unit about 10 main rallies would be held in Colombo and one rally will be held in Nugegoda in commemoration of the International Workers’ Day on 1st May. Police requests motorists and riders NOT to park vehicles along roads where May Day rallies are marching.
Samagi Jana Blawegaya SJB will hold its May Day rally at Campbell Park in Colombo and later march to Independence Square, after the five-day protest march from Kandy reached to Colombo.
Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna JVP May Day Rally will be held in Colombo, Anuradhapura, Jaffna and Matara. Colombo rally will be held at PD. Sirisena Grounds in Maligawatte.
Sri Lanka Podujana Peramna SLPP demonstration will be held near the Ananda Samarakoon Theatre in Nugegoda.
The Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) May Day rally will be held at the SLFP headquarters on Darley Road.
United National Party (UNP)’s Jathika Sevaka Sangamaya May Day meeting will be held at New Town Hall and UNP Youth front will hold its rally near Galle Face Green.
May Day rally jointly organized by the leftist parties and organizations will commence at 3 pm at Hyde Park.
National Freedom Front (NFF)’s May Day rally at Ape Gama premises in Battaramulla.
U.S. Embassy Colombo issued a Demonstration Alert for U.S. Government personnel. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. Government personnel have been advised to avoid the protests.
Several demonstrations and marches are planned in and around Colombo on Sunday, May 1, 2022, to protest the economic situation in the country. The demonstrations are likely to make travel to/from/within Colombo more difficult and cause road closures and traffic congestion throughout the day. The U.S. Embassy is aware of the following demonstrations, but there are additional protests planned throughout Sri Lanka:
- A demonstration at Lalith Athulathmudali Grounds (Colombo 06) at 1:00 p.m. with approximately 10,000 participants.
- A demonstration at Victoria Park (Colombo 07) at 9:30 a.m. with approximately 5,000 participants.
- A demonstration at Hyde Park (Colombo 02) at 2:00 p.m. with approximately 3,000 participants.
- A demonstration at Stanley Jansz Grounds (Colombo 02) at 2:00 p.m. with approximately 2,000 participants.
- A march beginning at the Upcountry Plantation Sector Trade Union office in Kollupitiya marching towards Kollupitiya Junction (Colombo 03) (time to be determined) with 1,000 participants.
- A march that began in Kandy on April 26 will rally on Sunday, May 1 at 3:00 p.m. at Campbell Park (Colombo 08) with approximately 15,000 participants.