Showery and windy conditions are expected to continue in the western and southern sea areas and in the southwest quarter of the island due to active Southwest Monsoon. Massive rainfall of 243.2mm reported in Norton (Nuwara Eliya) area last 24-hour period.
Showers or thundershowers will occur at times in Western, Sabaragamuwa, Central, and North-Western provinces and in Galle and Matara districts. Heavy rainfalls above 100 mm can be expected at some places in Sabaragamuwa province and in Kandy, Nuwara-Eliya, Kaluthara, Galle and Matara districts.
Several spells of showers may occur in Northern and North -Central provinces.
Strong winds about 50 kmph can be expected at times along the western slopes of the Central hills and in the North-central, Western, North-western and Southern provinces.
• People living in hilly areas (particularly landslide prone areas) and low lying areas in river basins are requested to be vigilant.
• Drivers and people using roads in the hilly areas are requested to be vigilant.
• Take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.
• Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
• Be alert on the advisories issued by the Department of Meteorology.
At least 7 persons have died, 1 missing and over 11,000 people have been affected due to the adverse weather conditions including floods and landslides prevailing in several parts of Sri Lanka during last few days.
Massive rainfall of 243.2mm reported in Norton (Nuwara Eliya) area last 24-hour period. (LankaXpress.com)